Domain Registration and Hosting
Your Domain is your website address. For example, our domain is Lithium.lk.
Choosing Your Domain Name(s):
Here are some points to consider when choosing a domain name for a Sri Lankan business:
- You can have more than one domain name for the same website.
- Try to avoid using a '-' (hyphen) in your domain name.
- Try to avoid using numbers, or words that sound like numbers - customers may be uncertain on how it should be typed. For example '4', 'for' and 'four'.
- Keep your domain name as short as possible, but be descriptive.
- If you are mainly targeting a Sri Lankan audience, a ..lk domain may be best as Sri Lankans are generally familiar with it and it shows that you are Sri Lankan.
- If you are targeting mainly an international audience, a .com or other extension may be better as internet users overseas are generally not that familiar with the ..lk domain extension.
- A domain name with keywords relating to your products and services can be used when promoting your website online.
- A catchy domain name that is easy to remember and write down can be effective for traditional offline marketing.
If you have an existing website and need to transfer the domain to a new service provider (host) you will need to transfer the domain.
Transferring a ..lk domain:
Lithium will submit a ticket to Sri Lanka's central domain registrar requesting to update the domain. The current host must accept the ticket and the domain then goes through a process called propagation, which takes approximately 24 hours, before being updated.
Transferring a .com or other domain:
The current host must 'unlock' the domain through their registrar. Lithium can then transfer the domain at a fee. The process takes at least 5 days after the domain has been unlocked.
Website & Email Hosting
Hosting is the service needed for your website to be live on the web. Hosting facilitates for the accessibility of your website via the world wide web, the technologies that enable your website to function in certain ways and managing of the working of your emails (i.e.. email@example.com).